MOZILLA HUBS: CREATOR SERVICES
AN EXPLORATION AIMed at developing concrete ideas for near-term APPLICATIONS OF MOZILLA’S SOCIAL VR PLATFORM, HUBS. CREATOR SERVICES IS AN SUB-PLATFORM WITHIN HUBS THAT provides CUSTOMIZABLE TOOLS AND VIRTUAL SPACES TO ENABLE AND FACILITATE CREATIVE WORK.
CREATOR SERVICES CONCEPT
By providing the freedom for people to design their own rooms for their own needs, Creator Services opens the barrier between VR consumer and VR and creator; it allows the platform to evolve into a self-sustaining social ecosystem.
Instead of trying to predict all the ways in which people will use Hubs, Creator Services is a Hub that enables the production and distribution of user-generated tools that assist in the creative process. With Hubs acting as a platform for creation, the community can evolve based on its own creative needs.
>> Designing in the 3rd dimension
>> Divining the future of social VR
Virtual presence is extending to a wide range of industries, with many predicting a future where virtual presence becomes a primary and common mode of connecting with family, friends and colleagues.
As a core player in the ecosystem of internet-enabled technologies, Mozilla envisions a future where our embodied experiences are not limited or controlled by a series of closed hardware platforms, but that we have choice, freedom and control over how to form and maintain our social connections. Through the Hubs platform, Mozilla is ensuring that the tools to create and experience embodied social experiences are widely accessible. In this 2- week exploration, 12 CIID students worked to discover and describe ideas for future use cases for the Hubs social platform.
VIDEO PROTOTYPE DELIVERABLE
>> A communication through narrative
>> concept roadmap
• Clustering Hubs - for sorting ideas of various file types into 3D clusters
• Moderation hubs - for guiding and leading the steps of the creative process
• Moodboard hubs - for easily rearranging images to reveal inspiration
• Sculpting/Form making hubs - for collaborative ideation
• Prototyping hubs - areas to fine-tune mechanical specifications or just to see your creation come together
• User Experience hubs - for discovering how real people use your creation
• Contextualization hubs - for viewing your creation in a variety of settings
• A protohub space where users can browse, favorite or share hubs that are open-sourced.
• Simple-made building tools that allow for customization of rooms and their contents.
• Room persistence that permits the retention of highly effective rooms.
• Permissions and public hubs to encourage cross-pollination of hub rules, architecture and assets with in an organization or group.
• Incorporating data analysis tools and artificial intelligence into the sense making rules or assets to leverage the strengths of machine learning and statistics in clustering or analysis hubs.
• Plug-ins or tools that facilitate a frictionless import and export of assets from hubs to conventional reality (or other design platforms – Sketch, Invision, etc.) or between hubs.
• A marketplace for special, user-generated scripts where microtransactions can take place, supporting a economy in the ecosystems of hubs.